In this article, we will help you to understand how to allocate team members.
Skip Ahead to:
The Team Member Allocation page displays the number of open team member requests for all the projects across the enterprise.
The Project Manager and Resource Manager can both see the total number of requests and allocations on the Team Member Allocation page upfront. Each request includes information such as the type of persona, the number of requested users, duration, % of the time required (whether the user is required 100% of the time, or partially ), skills, etc.
The project manager can allocate team members based on user availability, location, and skills. If the project manager is aware of the team member that would be the best fit for the project requirements, s/he can directly allocate a user to it without searching for the best fit for the request.
If the allocation by RM toggle is turned ON at the team member’s request, only the resource manager can allocate the users at the Administration level based on the availability, priority, scope of the request, and requests from other projects, etc.
On the Team Member Allocation page at a project level, in the left navigation panel, expand the Recent Projects menu and select the required project. Hover over the Project breadcrumb at the top, expand the Plan module, and select Team Member Allocation.
On the Team Member Allocation page at an administration level, in the left navigation panel, expand the Workspace menu and select the Administration menu. Hover over the Administration breadcrumb at the top, expand the People Management module, and select Team Member Allocation.
The layout of the Team Member Allocation views is as follows:
Team Members Allocation page at a project level
To learn more about the Team Member Allocation at a project-level page, click here.
Team Members Allocation page at an administration level
To learn more about the Team Member Allocation page at an administration level, click here.
The Project Manager submits a team member request to a resource manager or himself. The team member requests are displayed in the Open Request panel on the Team Member Allocation page. Each request includes information such as the type of persona, requested number, duration, % of the time required (whether the user is required for 100% of the time or 50% of the time), skills, etc. The Requested hours are calculated as,
Requested hours= Number of people requested x Working hours x Number of working days in the duration x %Time Required
The following allocation options are available in the Open Request panel:
- Direct Allocate: Use the Direct Allocate option to allocate the known users for either a requested or specific duration. You must have some idea of who would be the best fit for the position since you made the request.
- Search and Allocate: Use the Search and Allocate option to search for the organization’s user availability and allocate users by the score.
The Allocation Board displays a list of users with allocation and available hours that have been applied via Direct Allocate, Search and Allocate, and Alternate Search. The availability panel also shows the availability of each user for a specified duration.
- The available hours for the selected duration are calculated as
Available Hours = ((Total Time duration – Allocated Time – Leaves)/Total Time duration) x 100
- The allocated hours are calculated as
Allocated Hours = Working hours x Number of working days per the project calendar
- The Weekly/Monthly View on the left side of the screen displays the available percentage in weeks/months for the selected duration.
- The calculation of availability for the monthly view is
Total number of Hours in a month – Total Allocated hours in a month/Total number of working hours in a month)*100
The calculation of availability for the weekly view is
Total number of Hours in a week – Total Allocated hours in a week/Total number of working hours in a week)*100
The Team Member Allocation toolbar consists of three options- Legend, Alternate Search, and View by Option.
- Legend: The status of the projects for the Team Members Allocation page at the administration level is indicated by color below:
- Red: Project having most requests as past due
- Amber: The project has most requests due within one month
- Green: The project having the most requests due after one month
- Alternate Search: If you did not find the user that you are looking for using Direct Allocate or Search and Allocate, then you can use the Alternate Allocate option. Where you can search for alternate persona(s) and skills that match the requested requirements.
- View by: It allows you to view users’ utilization in weeks or months.